The Old Fashioned is the archetypal American whiskey cocktail, created in the later 17th century as a way to smooth out some of the harsher notes found in pre-prohibition whiskeys. As the cocktail spread around the world, the recipe changed, becoming a way of accentuating the flavours of the spirit. When using a high quality whisky such as The Glenlivet 18-year-old, the key is to use the finest possible ingredients, the freshest oranges and a blend of bitters designed specifically to bring out the very best of the whisky.
You will need:
- 50ml The Glenlivet 18-year-old
- 5 grams unrefined cane sugar
- 2 dashes *perfect bitters blend
- The Old Fashioned is traditionally made in the tumbler in which it is served. Add the unrefined caster sugar into the glass and add a little whisky and ice.
- Stir slowly to dissolve the sugar for about half a minute, add a little more whisky and the bitters and continue to store for another minute.
- Add the remaining whisky and stir, taste for balance and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with a large orange twist expressed over the surface of the drink.
Mix two parts of Angostura bitters with single parts of Bob's Bitter orange and Mandarin, Fee Brother's Plum and Peychaud's bitters. Leave to marry for at least a couple of hours. Feel free to experiement with your own version of perfect bitters.