The story of the original whisky coffee has many beginnings, with the most common recipes featuring Irish whisky. The Glenlivet 12-year-old has both the character to stand up to coffee and the approachability to work with a combination of softer, sweet and creamy flavours. This recipe uses dark chocolate and hot pepper to integrate with the whisky and hot coffee, topped off with a finish of cold unsweetened cream.
You will need:
- 40ml The Glenlivet 12-year-old
- 15ml liquid chocolate
- 10ml simple syrup
- 75ml Americano coffee or strong filter coffee
- 1 small pinch of cayenne pepper
- 40ml lightly whipped double cream
- Warm a small wine glass with boiling water, then pour out.
- Mix the chocolate, whisky, coffee, syrup and cayenne pepper together in the heated glass.
- Gently pour the cream over the back of a spoon to create a creamy layer.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, adding another small pinch of cayenne pepper.