There are so many great whisky cocktails, from an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan to a Whisky Sour. This drink is a cousin to the Mint Julep – the difference being the muddled lemon. A good smash needs a good muddler! You want to smash the lemon to release it’s juice but also the oils in the peel.
You will need:
- 2-3 lemon wedges
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves
- 1 part simple syrup
- 2 parts of bourbon or whisky
- Soda water
- Muddle lemon wedges in a glass to extract the juice
- Add mint leaves and simple syrup and muddle again
- Fill glass with ice & pour in the bourbon or whisky.
- Stir to combine.
- Add a splash of soda water to your liking and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.