Spring Asparagus Risotto
01 October 2018
- 500g asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Blanch asparagus pieces in large pot of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Drain. Rinse asparagus under cold water. Drain asparagus well.
- Bring chicken stock to simmer in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low and keep stock hot.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice and stir 3 minutes.
- Add dry white wine and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Continue cooking until rice is tender but still slightly firm in center and mixture is creamy, adding chicken broth 1 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, about 20 minutes.
- Add blanched asparagus pieces and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add 6 tablespoons butter and stir until incorporated.
- Stir in grated Parmesan cheese.
- Season risotto to taste with salt and pepper.